Considering most of us wear bras every single day, most have not really nailed the art of buying the right bra. It’s often the last piece of our wardrobe to be updated.
Let’s be honest most of us have a draw full of old, ill fitting, poorly looked after bras (honestly do you hand wash them all the time?).
Take my advice on the difference a good bra makes as someone that knows… A well fitted bra creates a more flattering silhouette, your waist will be accentuated and your confidence boosted too. Honestly, since wondering into Browns Lingerie Boutique on Francis Street 5 years ago I have been a faithful customer.
This week is their annual Fitting Fiesta. Running from Saturday 4th – 11th October. During this week you can go in and be personally fitted so that you know what your perfect shape and size is. When you buy one bra, you’ll get the second half price. If you go with a friend and you both purchase 2 bras you’ll each get a free pair of briefs.
Plus if you empty out that draw full of old bras and take them with you. Browns are taking part in the Bin your bras for Breast Cancer Campaign. So those tatty old things can be put to good use!
On Friday I went down to the launch of the event and spent an hour with Lindsey being refitted and trying on multiple styles. I came away with 2 every day Fantasie bras; one nude, seem free, perfect t-shirt bra (£38) and black lace bra (£33). I also treated myself to a beautiful Lebjey set (this was justified as its my wedding anniversary next weekend!).
The shop is owned by mother and daughter Sue and Lindsey. Who both do the personal fitting. When they fit they never us a tape-measure, they base your fitting on sight, as Lindsey explained every designer fits differently and so do each style. Therefore there is no point using measurements. Instead they make a educated estimate on size and provide a bra for you to try. Once on they are looking for these 5 things to ensure you have the perfect fit:
1. The back needs to be straight and low. So that it sits just below your shoulder bones
2. The wire below & between your breasts should sit flat (you shouldn’t be able to get your figures beneath it!)
3. The bra straps should be half way tightened (yes even with the back being below your shoulders)
4. You should not have a shadow as shown in the photo below. This area is called the root of you breast. This shadow means that the wire will become uncomfortable after a few wears.
5. Your silhouette should be smooth. There should be no squishy bits coming over the top or out the sides of the bra. Try a t-shirt over the top of your bra and make sure it all looks smooth.
By the time you leave you’ll feel as though you’ve made a good investment. I’ve felt great since Friday!
You can book an appointment or wonder in.
Tel: 0116 2707188
Browns Lingerie Boutique
35 Francis Street